Monday, June 16, 2008

Yahoo 7 Answers

The Yahoo 7 Answers "Adventure" assignment was a lot of fun. I posted a question and I felt all responsible but as I went through it started to seem more and more funny. The question was all about naming this woman's future child Freya or Wyatt. I said think about how that child will feel living with that name but then I weakened and said:

"If these are names that refer to some sort of media association then in ten or twenty years time everyone will be able to tell their age by that association and be thought terribly cheesy (all those Britneys and Courtneys are probably already having a hell of a time).

All my best wishes, Sue
P.S. Terribly sorry if your name is, in fact, Britney or Courtney"

I was checking through the questions that other people had put up. Similarly there were a mixture of serious and humorous answers. As one person pointed out, here they are asking total strangers about the most personal issues of their lives. Maybe this isn't a good idea.

I remember an anecdote that the presenter of a seminar on social networks on the internet told us. A man wrote in "what do I do when I have these pains in my chest?" and people were desperately writing back "for God's sake man, go to a doctor". What I mean is these sites are a lot of fun but you have to use your own judgement when asking a particular question.

1 comment:

pls@slnsw said...

I wonder if people are actually lonely - once upon a time you could talk with friends and neighbours about big and little ideas. Just today I heard Bob Perry - an architect and a consultant in urban design and transport on ABC Radio National describe our lives these days as moving from car port to car park to car port - very isolated and independent.

Mylee (PLS)