Saturday, May 17, 2008

RSS Feeds - A Power House of knowledge


I had a look at Google Reader, My Yahoo, Bloglines and Newsgator (aptly named, like an aligator it's really aggressive!). Again this is great but you have to have a virtual life to get into all this stuff.

As you go through your life you start to prioritorise what you are interested in. Sure this is a way to help you do it. But seriously when do I get time to look at all these things? As it is I'm sitting here on a Saturday afternoon when I could be reading a fine work of literature.

What I'd really like is a RSS feed that picks out all the usefull stuff about your job, the key things that everyone is talking about at morning tea (using A.C.R.O.N.Y.M.S.), and just serves it to you on a plate. But before I do it I have to search for it on the web.

3 comments:

slnsw_learning_2.0 said...

You make a good point - perhaps we need a shared RSS feed that is managed by some of our scouts [every library has scouts ... they're usually the first ones using new acronyms]. We should be able to develop this as a professional development tool ... taking the Library Journal links on the intranet to the next level?

Perhaps it would make sense to have feeds for different specialty areas eg. conservation?

Mylee (PLS)

Laura said...

Sue
I like the photo you chose for teamwork. The woman with the stripey socks illustrates in my mind that teams are made of individuals. We don't need to be clones to work well together.

Anonymous said...

rss feeds can easily get out of hand. I limit it to 20 blogs.

If I add one, I delete one.

That keeps my reading down to something I can manage, and still have something to talk about.

On top of that, plenty of people will send you links to stuff they think you should read. Winnow that down to the 3 people who send you stuff worthwhile - click on the links they send you and ignore the rest.

And the New York Public Library blogset. Read that too.