Saturday, May 3, 2008

"Explor Flickr"


I had a go posting photos and found the whole thing quite easy to use. It did take quite a lot of time so I did most of it at home and in my lunch hour. They looked quite nice when I got them up there but sadly I couldn't see them as part of the group of Learning 2.0 participants that had already posted. Maybe they will be visible tommorrow. Fingers crossed.

One thing occured to me. I caught a You Tube video on someone else's blog that heralded the death of Dewey. After posting the "slnsw2008" tag on all my photos I thought that was rather ironic. It's like what they say about God. If God didn't exist then man would have to invent Him.

The same with Dewey and other controlled vocabularies. If you didn't use Dewey and Library of Congress Subject headings we would use something else to co-locate items. It's a big internet out there!!!

1 comment:

slnsw_learning_2.0 said...

I agree - the level of detail used to tag some of the photos loaded to flickr by the Library of Congress would not be much help if you were trying to pull them together by subject. This is a good example: http://www.flickr.com/photos/library_of_congress/2179930812/
so it seems there will be room for both taxonomies and folksonomies in the web 2.0 world.
Mylee (PLS)