Saturday, April 19, 2008

What About the Quality of the Text?

On the video I watched poor old Stephen Fry wondering “what do I do now?”

All those years learning to act at R.A.D.A. must seem pretty meaningless to him when he sees the legion of amateur video clips and “reality TV” that you can watch on the internet.

I know how he feels.

For nine years I have studied to write properly and express myself well, with some success. Now I face the prospect of wading through vast amounts of poorly expressed data that we have to sift through to make any sense of. Why do I want to do this?

Surely I’m too “time poor” to face this task.

The opportunity for libraries and information professionals is (as it always has been) to act as guides to the sea of “information”. Sifting and evaluating it to bring the best of it to our clients. As experts in information we can add value to the internet so that clients can actually find WHAT THEY WANT.

No comments: